Sunday, August 17, 2008

Is everything shrinking but me?

Twice this weekend I have faced an ugly reality.  Rather than increase the price of a product or change the packaging to more realistically reflect the quantity of the amount contained therein, the manufacturers make subtle differences and hope we consumers will not notice.

Take Lean Cuisine's Glazed Chicken. I was shocked to open a package at lunch today and find that the amount of actual chicken included in the entree was significantly reduced. Thinking I would not notice, I was greeted by four pieces where there used to be three.  They don't fool me!  The combined weight of these four pieces has to be less than what used to be in the package for the same price. Believe me, when my dinner consumption is limited to just what is included in that black plastic tray, you can be sure I know how far I can make it stretch.  I was now looking at nuggets that were the equivalent of about five forkfuls. And, where did the mushrooms go? Have they been pureed into the sauce? There were no discernable pieces in the entree - no, make that appetizer, I ate today.  Since I do not save old packaging Lean Cuisine has me at a disadvantage of comparing. But I know what I did not get to eat today!

Speaking of appetizers, I purchased a box of Triskets last week. I was again, shocked at the size of the crackers when I opened the box to eat some on Saturday.  It has obviously been a while since I bought Triskets and I looked at the front of the box to see if I had accidentally purchased what I would have called Trisket Minis. Nope. The size of the box is the same as is the advertising but the actual crackers are not much bigger than a quarter now.  Again, since I do not have any old packaging to compare, I can only assume the weight is reduced and "per serving" details have been updated. I still feel cheated.

I had noticed other subtle changes in products recently that I think are the manufacturer's way to cut costs and lead the consumer to think nothing has changed.  I like jumbo cottonballs and have to search hard to find them. The last time I bought a bag, it looked the same but when I pulled out the first ball, I detected a difference.  The cotton was wound so loosely it was difficult to hold the shape when I was trying to use it.  Basically, the size looked the same but when dampened, it shrank up to a much smaller wad of cotton.  Less cotton is being used to create what looks like the same size product. This time I had an old, identical package to compare.  There is a definite difference in the quality.  Since there is no weight or quantity on the packaging, basically, we are getting an inferior product for the same cost. 

Remember when sugar came in a five pound bag? Now we get four pounds and pay even more.  If you are the cook in your household you have no doubt noticed that while packaging may have stayed the same, the weight has changed. Old recipes will reference a specific number of ounces that were once in a standard can of tomato sauce or peaches or condensed milk, but those same items are tipping the scales a little lighter these days.  I just wish I was!

What items have you noticed are smaller in quantity but the packaging seems to stay the same?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ohhhhhhhhh I've definitely noticed!!!   GRRRRRRR  
d

Anonymous said...

yep!! I've noticed this too; they think they are deceiving us, but they are not

betty

Anonymous said...

It's noticable! Normally Italian sausage comes in links of 6. Not anymore the last package I brought had 5. Thinking perhaps it was a mistake I looked the next time I went shopping. Nope it's no longer 6, yet the price hasn't been lowered, if anything it's higher. (Hugs)Indigo

Anonymous said...

Candy bars are smaller by far! However, portions in restaurants are gargantuan to me.

If you write a nice letter to Lean Cuisine, I bet they send you a crapload of coupons! "Nice" as in not rude but still covering the issue.

xoxo