Saturday, June 28, 2008

Taking that next step

I need advice.  I have been talking about purchasing a digital camera for over two years but my fear of buyer's remorse has stopped me from taking that final step. I had a wonderful 35 mm that took the best pictures but when I misplaced it I decided first that I was not mature enough to be trusted with a camera and must be punished. I believe I have now done my penance and I would like to take a technological leap forward. But here I stand, still on the precipice.

I need all you great photogs to recommend a camera to me. I want to be able to see the feathers on the bird up in the tree but not necessarily the one in flight. I do not want a delay in the flash or the baby will have stopped smiling by the top the shot is complete. I want to take breathtaking pictures of mountains in the distance and butterflies on flowers.  And, since I am not very technologically inclined, I don't want to have to refer to the manual for the next year in order to remember how to set the darn thing.

And, I need to know where can I get the best deal.

So what have I done for the last two years?  I still love photography so as part of my penance I have swallowed all pride and continued to purchase the Kodak or Fuji disposable cameras. Forget  the zoom.  Forget immediate viewing.  Forget reliable flash. But I must say I have still gotten some of the best shots with those little cameras and when I get them developed they are all ready to be added to my latest scrapbook endeavor.

I must admit it was a bit embarrassing when my granddaughter was born. There were all the relatives at the nursery window with their fancy schmancy, state-of-the-art cameras and yours truly was front and center with her WalMart special. It wasn't like I could act as though I had left my real camera at home.  "I went off without my X3000 Ultra Zoom so I just stopped and picked this up on the way to the hospital." I almost did not get my grandmom certification.

So, can you help me out? Of course, after I get the camera I will be looking for instructions on how to get the pictures from the camera into my Dust Bunny journal.  I can hardly wait!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Several brands of digital cameras come with a disk for your computer.  Just pop it in, it loads the program on your computer which will accept your pictures from the camera and adds the icon to your desktop for use.  They come with the cord to connect the camera to your computer, so shoot your pictures, plug it in, transfer the pictures to the program on the computer (you can create unlimited albums from each group of photos and can label and date each photo if you like).  You can edit each picture by adjusting shadows, lightening dark photos, adjusting colors, cropping the pictures and moving them around to avoid unwanted things in the pictues, taking out red eye,  etc.  You very easily then can send one or many of the pictures via email with an address book you can set up, easily.  You can also transfer someone else's pictures into your album if you want.  

I am definitely not a photobug and get tired of reading instruction books for everything new I buy (I just call one of my kids and say "help"), but I struggled a little with this program at the beginning and do really like it now.  I'm sure there are better cameras and programs, but I have the Kodak EasyShare camera, 4 megapixel (whatever they are!), and love it.  I do have to purchase $10 a year in pictures through Kodak, but it's worth it to me for the program.  I am able to take all 1800 pictures I've taken the last 2 1/2 years, mostly of my kids and grandkids, and recorded them off the computer onto a disk for safe keeping or sending to someone else.  The newer cameras do so much more than mine does, so you'll have fun shopping.  I use rechargeable batteries, and I always keep a spare set in the camera bag so that I don't miss those best shots when the batteries in the camera run down.

For what its worth.  Hope I didn't bore you too bad!
       See ya,  BW

Anonymous said...

I have an Olympus SP 500uz.  It has a 10x optical zoom (and I've purchased another lens too).  Came with software for editing etc, but other then using it to download my pictures (I use Paint Shop Pro to play and do my collages)  It has a ton of options, and I loved it because as I grew in my photography I learned other things, but it does have your basic point and shoot too.  Good luck!  Looking forward to hearing what you get
d

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I use a NIKON D-50.  I love it!!!!

It is light and takes great pictures.
I bought a telephoto lens and it is easy to change the lenses.

I take many shots of the same thing and maybe, get 1 or 2 that are great.

Good luck!

Mary Louise

Anonymous said...

there are so many to choose from it gets confusing i know.  what i would say is spend as much as you can possibly afford on the camera to get what you really want to start with because you and your scope of photography will grow.  i have a pentax  istD and a canon power shot S3IS.  both are good cameras, but if i could go back i'd probably invest in a  nikon D or canon eos series.  there are many small handheld models to choose from as well.  i would suggest going to best buy or somewhere that has a good camera department and talk to an informed salesman and research online the brands that appeal to you most.  good luck!!
gina