Thursday, September 15, 2005

Who remembers Emily Post?

When did I become old fashioned? Who am I kidding? My style has always been a little bit old fashioned, in spite of my daughter’s best efforts to perk up my image. I was raised to follow the more conventional fashion trends, never stepping too far off the conservative pathway. Never was that more painfully brought to light than in my response to a recent Question of the Day in an online group to which I belong. The question was “Do you still wear white after Labor Day?”

                                            

When I saw the question, there had already been a few responses posted with statements along the lines of “LOL Of course I do!” “I wear what is available." "I do not care about the color. If it is clean I wear it.” “Is that old rule still around?” I was the first participant to admit that I did not wear white after the first Monday in September. It was how I was raised. I have tried to break the familial ranks but my conscience won’t let me. I’m a rebel for about five days and then I succumb to what is very firmly engrained. A few other group members did admit they do not wear white after Labor Day either but the majority was favored to the other side.

If you google “Wearing white after Labor Day” you will find many discourses (559) on whether or not it is still a valid fashion guideline. It would appear that most fashion statements are generalities and no one bothers to follow many rules any more. Now, shirts are still worn on the top of the body and pants are typically worn on the lower half of the torso but even that is challenged by those whose pants are worn with the crotch hanging around the knees.

I won’t bore you with the results of my research but it did cause me to realize I have a list of things that (in my house) were considered points of etiquette I was taught growing up.

1. Do not wear white between Labor Day and Memorial Day with the exception of Easter Sunday. No white shoes or purses. White t-shirts, uniforms or nurses shoes were acceptable exceptions. Winter white (which is ivory or cream) is acceptable but is usually in heavier material due to the cooler temperatures.

2.  No white hose with black shoes.

3.  No dark hose with white shoes.

4.  No sandals or open-toed shoes after Labor Day.

5.  No pantyhose with open-toed shoes or sandals.

6.  Velvet is a fabric only worn in winter.

I can’t help myself. I am a slave to these rules even if no one else still adheres to them. I’m just sorry that the only role model I have seen touting this attitude is Kathleen Turner in "Serial Mom."

                                            Image hosted by Photobucket.com

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Found your journal at bettys. thanks for making me laugh:)

Deb

Anonymous said...

Gosh, I remember this now that you wrote about it. I forgot about these rules of dress - but my mom practiced a lot of this and told me about it and I'm sure when I dressed (for now I live in jeans/shorts and tee-shirts or sweat-shirts) I'm sure I followed them. Thanks for a trip down memory lane :)

betty

Anonymous said...

Hi!  Thanks for the comment.  I actually have an etiquette book that my dad bought me as an early teen.  I try not to go all fuddy duddy on my kids...but I can't help it!  LOL ;)  C.  http://journals.aol.com/gdireneoe/thedailies

Anonymous said...

i used to work with some ladies who adhered strictly to the rules of labor day and white  - they also knew exactly what the colors for next season would be, and there was i, wearing what weather and what was in my closet dictated.

man, i hope nobody notices..