Thursday, November 10, 2005

A headstart on the weekend

I was reading my journal alerts backward and saw that Kelly/pixiedustnme was working on John's Weekly Assignment.  It caught my eye and, since I do love to read, I had to take stock of my subscriptions.  

John Scalzi's Weekend Assignment #85: What magazines do you subscribe to and why? This assumes you currently subscribe to a magazine or two, of course, but I'm reasonably confident most of us do. If you don't have any current subscriptions, however, you can list some of your most recent subscriptions or magazines you want to subscribe to.

Extra Credit: What was your first magazine subscription?

I really believe that what magazines we choose to pay to come into our home on a regular basis says a lot about us. Hmmmm ... what will you learn about me that you did not already know??

1.  People.  One of my all time favorites!  Not a lot of overblown fabrications and it always has some great pictures.  Yes, it might be shallow, but since I am a multi-tasker at heart, I love it for the bathroom.

2.  Reader's Digest.  Again.  A great bathroom book.  And, one of these days they will publish one of my humorous entries.  I want $300 and I do not want to pass Go!

3.  National Geographic.  Some of the best natural photography on the planet, bar none.  Did you know that in America we run the risk of crushing the earth's mantel?  Why you ask?  Because of the weight of the National Geographic magazines we all save.  The weight is too much to bear!  You've been warned!

4.  Christian Woman.  I've had my subscription to this magazine for years!  Before that it was Teenage Christian.  Very uplifting.

5.  Time.  Just good stuff and it helps me stay on top of current events.

6.  Entertainment Weekly.  Just more fluff.

7.  North Carolina Journal.  Lots of great stuff about my former home state.  When this year's subscription runs out, I'm done.

8. Tons of catalogs.  That in itself is another entry!

Extra credit:  My first subscription was to Weekly Reader, Summer Edition.  I sure wish I had saved those.  I still remember the issue about the monorail. It would be so fascinating to see what use to be cutting edge stuff.

My own bonus credit:  Like, John Scalzi, I subscribed to Wired back in '97 when it was still cool. Others, have tried to emulate their edgy style but pale in comparison. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my word, Donna; how do you find the time to read all those? I just get one (Family Circle) and when that subscription is done, that's it, I'm not renewing. I did like Christian Woman - subscribed to that for a little bit; just not enough time to read.

and catalogs; geesh this time of year we average 5-6 catalogs a day.

betty

Anonymous said...

I used to read Mad magazine years ago, and I don't get any now. What does that say about me?
xoxo

Anonymous said...

The only magizine coming to our house is Highlights.  Funny thing is that I will sometimes view the pages.  I can find the hidden objects before she gets home from school.  That is if I get it before noon.  lol
Dianne

Anonymous said...

I get People too............I get alot of the "gossip" magazines!  I need to stop getting some of them though, they all say the same thing! I would really like to find out where to get the Christian Woman magazine though. Do you have a link for it?  Thanks Lelly

Anonymous said...

wow, your mailbox is full! .. I can't afford magazines at the moment but i used to get StarLog and would like to get Biography.