Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Just another day at the zoo

I was on vacation and away from the office for 12 days and going back has kicked my butt!  I am having trouble getting motivated and that is just not like me.  The days usually fly by but I find myself watching the clock now.  Maybe it is because summer is officially over and the days are getting shorter - outside but not in my office.  Whatever it is, I better snap out of it soon!!

This past weekend I went with my daughter and granddaughter to an air balloon festival.  It was a blast and I got a lot of great pictures.  Too bad the battery died on my camera just as the majority of the balloons took off. Good grief.  Every time I use my new camera I learn a valuable lesson.  This time I learned that even if you think you have enough juice in the camera, recharge the battery the night before.  Better yet, buy a back-up battery.  I think where I went wrong was taking so many pictures of the air show and the sky divers as they made their descent.  With a fast shutter digital, it is so easy to take 30 - 50 pictures before you even realize it.  And, how many pictures do you really need of the same group of guys floating to earth?  I ended up with a bunch of rear-end shots, from teeny tiny to full screen!

This was a three day festival and they were expecting over 85,000 to attend over the course of the three days.  We went on Saturday and I am pretty sure we were three of at least 50,000. Long lines at every concession stand and the kids' activities were super crowded.  Walking down the main street my daughter was attacked by a life size cardboard cutout of Barack Obama. (Someone must have bumped it from behind and it fell at her, face first.)  We started to laugh and obviously offended one of the campaigners who screamed, "Hey!  There are thousands of us!  Thousands!"  I assume she meant BO supporters but regardless, it took me a minute or two to convince Tenderheart it really was not the time or place to engage in a discussion of the merits of cardboard. <smile> 

I am still trying to figure out how to manage my pictures, taking them from the camera to the computer without a trip to Walgreens first and tonight was no exception.  Maybe tomorrow.

Big thanks to Betty for helping me get rid of those pesky SPAM comments.  Funny, how you can see a button/word/action on the screen but never really see it.  Duh!  Now I know how to use "Actions" on each comment.    

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

so glad my suggestion helped!! I love hot air balloons! when we lived in Santa Fe, we went to the Albuquerque balloon festival; that was awesome! over 800 balloons taking off; all different shapes and colors

I'm always running out of batteries for the camera; I still use the AAs and always forget to bring extra ones with me

its hard sometimes to get back into the work mode especially if you have had a fun vacation; bet after the weekend you'll be more motivated; one can only hope, right?

betty

Anonymous said...

I love you Autumn graphic.

I would love to see your photos of the hot air balloons.  Sounds like you had a fun day with your daughter.

I'm always forgetting to check the batteries in my digital camera like everyone else!  LOL

Have a wonderful day.

Hugs, Rose

Anonymous said...

I only charge my camera batteries before a trip, but I must go away often enough. Getting back to work must have been a very hard adjustment!

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good time at the festival.  Ballons are so much fun to watch.